Mom will be thrilled with this easy baked version of French toast on Mother’s Day. The honey wheat bread slices are stuffed with cinnamon-scented, mashed banana and dried tart cherries before being dipped in egg and baked to golden perfection.
1. Cut each bread slice in half. With small sharp knife carefully cut pocket in each piece, starting at the cut edge.
2. In small bowl mash banana. Stir in cherries and cinnamon. Spread banana mixture inside of pockets.
3. In shallow dish beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Soak stuffed bread slices in egg mixture, generously coating both sides. Place on 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan lined with lightly oiled parchment paper. Bake at 450° F for 10 minutes.
4. Turn bread slices. Sprinkle tops with sliced almonds. Continue to bake at 450° F for 5 to 7 minutes more or until almonds begin to toast.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt and 3 tablespoons maple syrup. Transfer toast slices to serving plates. Sprinkle with strawberries. Drizzle yogurt mixture on each.