Don’t be deterred by the seemingly strange presence of sauerkraut in this recipe. It blends in beautifully, adding tartness and texture. Let your guests try to identify this “mystery ingredient” — few people get it right!
Serve this simple, unusual dish with holiday meals, or as a main dish for a cold winter supper, with soup, pumpernickel bread, and a green salad with mustard vinaigrette. A good red wine or Sangria would go nicely with this.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Set aside.
2. In large skillet heat oil. Add onion and mustard. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in sauerkraut. Cook about 5 minutes more, stirring ocassionally. Set aside.
3. In large bowl toss together apple slices, flour, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg. Add honey. Mix well.
4. In prepared baking dish layer half the apple mixture, half the onion-sauerkraut mixture and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with crushed Kashi® Snack Crackers, Original 7 Grain and walnuts.
5. Tightly cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 15 minutes more or until lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.